Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Art of The Bump


Ah yes.
The Art of Bump.
No.... not Sookie, a Bump it, or some move that fits with a butterfly dance move.

Airlines bumps!

This past weekend I was flying over one of the busiest airline seasons, Spring Break! I have read that during Christmas and Spring Break there are actual "professional" bump artists, that buy tickets only to rack up credits. Funny enough - airlines are now tracking these people down....

Anyway I am not a professional, I have only gotten lucky 3 times...but here is the most recent story.

So I was flying back from San Francisco to Orlando, they asked for 3 bumps and promised $200 airfare credit for each person and confirmed tickets on a later flight. My husband is very scared of flying (he says he just doesn't "like" it) and was already mentally prepared for the flight we were in line for. I couldn't convince him. So we boarded. I had the biggest pit in my stomach - WHAT DID I JUST PASS UP? I made it clear to the airline attendant, if they were going to force people off the flight I was still interested. My husband was convinced someone had taken it - usually people are running for those deals....so I sat back and pouted.

Then the attendant said for me to go to the front of the plane and talk to a customer service rep....my heart leaped~ (true sign of a dealaholic). They were now offering refund of one way flight, $400 airfare credit each, and confirmed tickets on a direct flight that would only get in 2 hours later!

I was sold! I waved my hand at my husband and said SOLD! He was not happy (I think he might still be mad). BUT it was such a good deal......

We got it all and after that our flight got in an hour early. So was an hour worth $800+++ --- if you are looking for the Next Best Deal - YES!!!!!!

Let's review my guide for "Bumps"

1. Only expect them in Holiday/Busy Season
2. Make sure that what they are offering you is a good trade for your time. You have to feel comfortable with the trade.
3. If you really want it, bumps often go quickly.
4. BUT if you can hold out, the pot will always get sweeter. always.
5. Make sure that they offer a CONFIRMED ticket on the next flight, people will get tricked into standby and then well....who knows when you'll get home.
6. Make sure your schedule is flexible; don't go skipping work or school on my account ;)
7. Know the expiration dates and any blackout dates
8. Start planning the next great trip!

ENJOY!

0 comments on "The Art of The Bump"

Post a Comment

Followers

 

What I am all about

This blog is all about the next great deal. I will try to give great tips and hints on how to make the most of your money! I love to shop but only when there are good deals. I think you have to spend money to make money and I love to do it! I have been very lucky in my life and hopefully can share that with others :) Coco Chanel once said: "You usually need to take off the last thing you put on." She didnt mean this but I usually add "to your credit card." So here are my tricks of the trade of living fabulous, shopping often, but all while getting a good deal and keeping those credit cards down!



Confessions of a Dealoholic! Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez